Thursday, May 16, 2019

{Days 3&4} Flow & Idea

I had a lot to do tonight, but none of it included rescuing an injured turtle, making cookies, or wearing a Carolina Hurricanes jersey.

And yet all of those things happened, disrupting my plans for the night.

Sometimes things don't do quite as we plan. At then end of my work day, a friend sent me a text and asked me if my son would like to go out tonight with her kids. He sure would! (Even though I didn't ask him first). Then my mind went to making plans for my quiet night, at home, by myself. There was so much I could do.

But rescuing a turtle, making cookies and wearing a Carolina Hurricanes jersey was not on my radar. At all.

Sometimes our flow and our ideas are interrupted. We plan for one thing, expect one thing, anticipate one thing and yet something different happens. A phone call, a friend, a child, an animal, a need - there are a thousand things that could possibly come to interrupt our plans. And these interruptions  can be frustrating if we don't allow ourselves to view them as God's interruptions into our lives. Interruptions mess with the flow of our lives, our thoughts, our plans - our writing. Sometimes I think I interrupt the flow of my own thoughts because I don't really know what my thoughts are! I welcome random interruptions - maybe even look for them - because then I don't have to face the work or responsibility that awaits me. Except when they are God's interruptions. Then we need to take a step back and wonder what God is up to. 

What if we began to view the interruptions in our lives as surprises from God? What if, instead of being frustrated by them, we welcomed them as a surprise gift? An opportunity to show love, to share a piece of what we have, to offer some of who we are to someone else. 

Tonight I found an injured turtle on my road, and as a result I met a neighbour, as well as the man who delivers the newspaper. We scooped up the turtle and placed it on the side of the neighbours pond. Then I called the SPCA, and they came and rescued the injured turtle. Life saved. 
     
                                              

Tonight I made cookies because Mitch has decided to have friends over after school tomorrow. I am a big believer in having food for boys in my house. If you want your kids' friends to want to be at your house, then feed them. Always feed them. And cookies are always a hit. Friends made.

                                        

Tonight I am wearing a Carolina Hurricanes jersey because Eric wanted Mitch to wear it in solidarity for his newly adopted team's run to the Stanley Cup Finals. Mitch however, is not home. Therefore, in support and solidarity with my son, I wear his jersey and cheer for the Canes. Nobody in the GTA likes the Bruins anyways. Family saved. 

      

The next time your grand plans, your flow, your ideas are interrupted and your agenda seems skewed, stop and wonder what God is up to. Look for the surprises that God has in store for you in the midst of these apparent interruptions. 

If you are anything like me, these surprises will come in random things like injured turtles, making cookies, and wearing a hockey jersey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Is In Your Mom Tribe?

Last weekend I participated in one of the many mom-rituals that happen this time of year - I dropped off my boys to summer camp. For a litt...