Tuesday, May 14, 2019

{Day 2} Mantra

Honestly, I had to look up the definition of "mantra" to see exactly what this was about. It is "a statement or slogan repeated frequently" according to the every helpful dictionary.com.

I wasn't sure how I was going to tackle this word. Did I have a mantra? Have I ever had a mantra? I let that question sit with me all day, let it ruminate in my soul to see where it landed. I decided that whatever my mantra might be had to reflect my belief, my faith, my heart, and ultimately my life. I chose this verse, which beautifully sums up what I believe my mantra would be, if indeed I had one.

"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Phil 4:8

Think about such things. Write about such things. This verse does not just mean the good and the beautiful and the perfect, but it also speaks to how the things in our life can be true but hard, they can be right but confusing, pure but tainted, lovely but messy. The good and the bad, the beautiful and the broken - they all offer a moment of gratitude even if not in that exact moment. All of life can point us back to Jesus if we let it, and this is what I want my life mantra to reflect...Jesus.

These are the things I want to write about. Life itself motivates my writing. It's not just about the events, but rather the story that those events begin to write. Stories of mercy and grace and hope. Stories that inspire and encourage, that may challenge and touch the deep places of our souls. Stories that are real. Stories that are meaningful. Stories that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely and admirable. Stories that are written by a God who loves us and holds us close even when we feel far away.

Think about these things. Write about these things.

Photo credit: YouVersion

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Is In Your Mom Tribe?

Last weekend I participated in one of the many mom-rituals that happen this time of year - I dropped off my boys to summer camp. For a litt...