Friday, December 16, 2016

Christmas and Aleppo

My heart is breaking these days. Breaking for Mamas and kiddos and grandparents and fathers and others that I don't even know. People. Humans.

Their pictures are all over the internet and on our TVs. Lovers of people. Believers in good. Holders of dreams. Makers of homes and houses and communities and a life that deserves so much more.

These precious people of Aleppo.

I. Can't. Even.

I am sitting here typing on my computer, watching TV, being warmed by my fireplace, the glow of the Christmas tree in the corner, my children playing outside and in, with each other, with things. We have so much. I am torn gut-raw this Christmas.

I. Can't. Even.

There are six wrapped gifts under our tree, one for each of us. Honestly, there are more upstairs in their hiding places, away from the eyes and tries of my kids. But I'm having a hard time moving them from their secret place to under our Christmas tree. This Mama is having a hard time wrapping gifts to put under a tree when Mamas across the world are having a hard time wrapping their precious little ones just to save their lives. This Mama is dodging people and traffic, while other Mamas are dodging bullets and missiles. Little has rocked my world like the current events in Aleppo.

I love gift giving. I actually even (usually) love shopping for Christmas presents. One of my favourite things to do each Christmas is go shopping and get it all done at once, enjoying the festive atmosphere of the mall. Weird for many of you, I realize, but seriously, I have always loved doing that. This year was different. I got my day to go shopping. Had my list. Had my plan in my head. I was looking forward to buying some special things, drinking over priced coffee from a red cup, and eating whatever I wanted to at the food court. And I did all those things, but there was something missing. There was a sadness, a regret, a deep sorrow that I couldn't shake.

Aleppo. Mamas and Papas in Aleppo are going to wake up on December 25th to atrocities and horror, and we are going to wake up to lovingly and lovely wrapped gifts, or maybe a breakfast with family, or maybe a dinner with loved ones with laughter and singing and sharing and...peace.

That's it. The whole juxtaposition of our world and their world. Peace vs. violence.  Calm vs. chaos. Our greatest concern seems to be whether or not we will have a white Christmas (which I'm pretty sure we are safe in assuming yes to!). I know that our world, our community, is not immune to the pain of sorrow and sadness, of loss and regret and striving to make ends meet. I know that there are people that I rub shoulders with each week that are facing a much different Christmas. My heart break for those across the world does not lessen the reality of those suffering within my community. It is all real. It is all sad. It is all needing to be made right.

So, do I take all the gifts back? Do I not do Christmas this year because Mamas across the world are suffering? I don't think that is the answer. I don't have an answer. But I do have an idea.

God sent Jesus to be our Messiah, our Saviour, to be our Prince of Peace. Our world welcomed peace when Baby Jesus arrived, and now that is the peace we have to offer. So that is my prayer this season.

I am praying that God's peace would be on display. That His peace would win over the violence and chaos. That His peace would settle in and on the hearts of humans everywhere. Including my own.

My idea...As I wrap gifts this year, I will pray for Mamas in Aleppo and other places in our great big world, where Mamas are wrapping precious little ones, where Mamas are protecting and persevering and praying for peace.

Each gift that gets wrapped under my tree represents a prayer for a Mama in Aleppo.
Each gift that gets opened from under my tree represents a prayer for a child in Aleppo.

Another idea...Give. There are many great organizations on the ground already in Aleppo and the surrounding area.

www.preemptivelove.nationbuilder.com
www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Or check out this list here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/how-to-help-aleppo-charities-and-organisations-to-donate-to-including-msf-the-red-cross-and-the-white-helmets_uk_584ff7a8e4b040989fa80770

Sign a petition here:
https://secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/aleppo_stop_the_massacre_en_glb_loc/?copy

This Christmas our theme at church is Simply Christmas. We have been challenged to Spend Less, Give More, and Love All. This truth has really hit home this year.

Simply Christmas. Simply Love. Simply Give. Simply Pray.

My heart hurts as I watch the atrocities around the world. Sure I am thankful for all I do have, for all the blessings that come with being born and raised in our part of the world. But my heart is open to simply love and share the peace that came as a baby wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger. That is the gift that I simply give to the Mamas and kiddos of Aleppo. It's all I have, but it has to be enough, I am praying that it is enough, because I am believing that He is enough.


For to us a child is born,
    to us a son is given,
    and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
    Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
    Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
~Isaiah 9:6



No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Is In Your Mom Tribe?

Last weekend I participated in one of the many mom-rituals that happen this time of year - I dropped off my boys to summer camp. For a litt...